Woodbyne Fresh Market
The “Woodbyne Fresh Market” is going from strength to strength! We had our biggest turn out ever last weekend – lots of veggies are available now and other goodies were offered this week (very tasty zuchinni cake from the Zlotys, garlic bread & freshly squeezed lemonade from the Yearwoods and beef jerky from the Dills!). Lots of neighbors, friends and families turned out, swapped news & shared Margaritas (thanks to Graham).
The market will be held every Sunday (during the main growing season) 6:30pm-7:30pm at the “Sessinger Circle” on Woodbyne Road.
Growers: I update the price list every week (usually on Sunday morning) – please let me know what you are bringing if it is not on the online spreadsheet already – this way we can ensure we have a full price list for the market each week.
- Prices same as Giant/Wegmans or use Trading Exchange Units for exchanging items
- 1 Trading Exchange Unit = 50c
- Fresh unprocessed fruit/veggies only for sale on website
- “Processed” items (e.g. cooked items , honey) and eggs can be exchanged
- Items traded “at own risk”
- Bring your own table
- Upload available produce onto web-based spreadsheet
- You are responsible for your own transactions
About Woodbyne Fresh Market
Why a Veggie Exchange?
* This is an experiment in old-fashioned neighborhood cooperation with the aim of making fresh local food available at a reasonable price, improving our local food security, increasing our sense of community and reducing the environmental impact associated with our food.
What will be Traded/Sold?
* Vegetables, fruit, eggs, herbs, flowers, seedlings, meat, preserves, honey
* Everything must be locally grown/raised – not necessarily organic – but we will ask growers to identify where artificial (non-organic certified) chemicals have been used (fertilizer & pesticides)
* Pricing will be in line with Giant/Wegmans organic produce and will vary with seasonal availability and will be posted on-line
* $0.50 = 1 unit – can trade/sell in 1/2 or double units, etc
When will the market be?
* To make it more sociable an evening was thought to be better than a morning – we could hang-out together, bring snacks, beer, etc. – Sunday evenings starting July 17th
Where will the market be?
* “Sessinger’s Circle” (at far end of Woodbyne Road)
When will the market start?
* Mid July when most people begin to have a lot of produce
* Before this date we can trade/sell on-line to get that process straightened out before July – see spreadsheet of available items.
Please feel free to post your ideas and comments below.
We held our first planning meeting about the Woodbyne Veggie Exchange on Monday April 4th Click here for the full meeting notes.